Monday, March 10, 2008

Linkapalooza - March 10, 2008

Every once in a while I'll come across some cover art, a poster or a trailer that'll give me that, "why didn't I think of that?" feeling. I can't say that "Zombie Strippers" made me think that, exactly, as if you gave me a million monkeys, typing on a million computers and I told them to write me the next big thing in horror, there's no WAY that those monkeys would come up with "Zombie Strippers", but... that's why you don't use monkeys. Written and directed by Jay Lee and starring Jenna Jameson and Robert Englund, I'm smelling what these guys are stepping in... and I like it. Here's a link to the trailer.

One of the guys from Bloody-Disgusting is blogging from the SXSW Festival - LINK. I'm not sure if that link works or not. If it is, great. If not, just click page to the home page, click on blogs and find it there. Pretty interesting, though...

Live events coming to theaters - LINK - This is actually quite cool, even though you may be thinking, "what the hell does this have to do with indie horror?" Well, first off, I'll reference back to last weeks "linkapalooza", where I wrote about an article called "Will the Movie Experience Die in the On Demand World?". Here's a link to my post. Well, you can read what I have to say there, but the long and short is, I do think there's a future for the movie theater experience... and live events, especially 3D live events, are part of that future. Yes, films will find other distribution methods and I do think that you'll see theater attendance drop for feature films as we know them today, but attendance at theaters will not drop... it'll continue to grow. It'll grow because they're going to continue to experiment and bring you alternate programs and cool new stuff, such as live 3D events like they mention in this article. Never underestimate a businesses desire to make money...

Lionsgate to digitize films for iPods - LINK - So, while the theaters are looking for new content for their screens, what are the horror production companies doing? Well, they're looking for new places to distribute their content. I know a lot of purists, like this guy, hate the fact that people can watch feature films on their mp3 players, iPhones, etc., but I have to admit that I've watched lots of movies on mine. It's perfect for when you're at an airport or using a stairmaster or something, I'm sorry, it just is... and horror doesn't exactly need to be seen in Imax to be appreciated. Like I've said over and over again, filmmakers hold 'the movie theater' as the pinnacle, but we should stop thinking like that. Think about eye-balls, well... eye-balls that belong to paying consumers. The more people you can get to watch and pay for the content you've created, in whatever format that may be, the more successful a filmmaker you will become.

I found this Youtube clip featuring Drew Wilson from some film called "Songs About Your Girlfriend", which I haven't seen. To be quite honest, I've never heard of Drew or this film. However, after watching the clip, he gives a fairly good little synopsis on how to make a film on the dirt cheap... so, if you've never made a micro-cinema film, but are planning on it, you won't be wasting the 4 minutes and 46 seconds it takes to get through this clip.


No comments: